ungarvan Castle (King John's Castle) is a 12th century Anglo-Norman Castle. Prince John arrived in Waterford in 1185 and initiated the building of a number of castles in the South East region which included one in Dungarvan. Dungarvan Castle is one of the few Royal Castles built in Ireland. The massive Southern wall with its walkway still survives and gives some indication of the original strength of the castle. Before the castle was built the Norman's erected a Motte and Bailey fortification in the in the early 1170s at Gallowshill to the West of the town. During the Irish Civil War, the barracks were taken by the IRA forces who set fire to it before leaving in August 1922. With the foundation of the Garda Siochana in 1922 the building was restored and used as the local Garda Station until 1987. It fell into disrepair, but today it has been restored and is managed by Dúchas, who provide guided tours, an audio-visual show and exhibitions during the summer months.
Tourist and Visitors
Opening TimesOpening Hours
28th May - 25th September: Daily 10.00 - 18.00
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.
Castle Street Dungarvan Co Carlow