Redwood Castle (also known as Egan Castle or Caislean Choillte Rua in Irish) is a Norman castle near Lorrha in County Tipperary, Ireland. The castle was built by the Normans around 1200 AD, and was occupied by them until c.1350, when the Mac Aodhagáin (MacEgan, Egan, Keegan) were installed on the lands. As hereditary Brehons or lawyers, the Mac Aodhagáin clan established a school of learning here, which was patronised by the family for several hundred years. The castle was enlarged and renovated several times, with considerable work from 1350. Aside from the original thick stone walls, the building demonstrates some architectural features common to Irish fortifications of the period (including a murder-hole), and some less common features (including a Sheela na gig).
Tourist and Visitors
Opening TimesJune 4 - 12 (2 to 6 p.m.),
July 6 - 31 (2 to 6 p.m.)
Aug 1 - 31 (2 to 6 p.m.)
Sept 1 - 6 (2 to 6 pm.)
Redwood, Redwood, Lorrha, Co. Tipperary